Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"Ironman 2.0": This is Your Ironman

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." -- Henry David Thoreau


AS WE ALL KNOW, we are amidst the era of user-generated content. Web 2.0 allows previous spectators not merely to take part, but to be heard, and trusted, like never before.


The paradigm has shifted because user-generated content resonates with people; it is purely democratic. More people visit Wikipedia than Encyclopedia Britannica because they believe that the "collective wisdom" can outperform the "experts." If you have 40 million eyeballs on a piece of content, the end result may well be superior to that one or two or five myopic, single-minded "experts." The proof's in the pudding: according to Alexa.com, in researching "swine flu," more people visited Wikipedia than The Centers for Disease Control.


When Ashton Kutcher kicked media conglomerate CNN's hiney to a million party tweeple -- and subsequently hooked Ted Turner up with a deluge of Ding Dongs -- it was emblematic of the power of the people. (I can feel Chuck D. and Flavor Flav thumpin' that classic track right now!)


Throughout history, there has been no greater force than a group of determined, passionate people. As Margaret Mead said: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." That applies to every great event through human history: from eradicating sinister diseases to prevailing in world war to bringing civil rights to life.


As part of a new campaign "The Million Dollar Ironman," I am training to break the 9-hour barrier in the world's toughest one-day sporting test: The Hawaii Ironman World Championships. No easy feat. Last year, only 27 people in the world did it. And next year, I will be one of them.


The ultimate goal here is to raise $1 million for CARE, a leading global humanitarian organization, for which I proudly serve as an ambassador.


The original thought was to provide live video coverage on ustream.tv and immediate user-interaction via Twitter: People from around the world could gain unprecedented access to what it's like to break that 9-hour barrier at Ironman.


But, that's so "April, 2009." Been there, done that. It's just no longer compelling to watch an athlete do an event on behalf of charity.


But, what if you could play -- as you lounge with a cool, crispy Mojito?


What if we applied the concept of Web 2.0 and allowed users -- you -- to make "generate the content" and dictate the outcome of a world-class athlete, in real-time? Now, that would be something.


It has never been done before.


Until now.


I am going to compete in the 2010 Ironman World Championships -- and I'm going to let you call the shots. (Yes, you, Earl G. Huckabee from Upper Sandusky, Ohio!). We'll call it Ironman 2.0.


I am asking the greatest triathlete who ever lived, Dave Scott ("The Man"), to guide me through the day. I will be wired up to display all conceivable physiological feedback on a dashboard on the web: heart rate, distance, speed, wattage output, stress levels, etc. People from around the world will be able to feel the event like never before -- and view how I'm doing moment-to-moment on www.WhatShouldHeDoNext.com.


But, my real coach is...you: You will be able to give your opinions of what I should do next during the race. You will Twitter to the page (instead of "What are you doing?" a text box will read "What should he do next?") -- and my coach will distill down the best input and pass it on to me during the event. Click on the image to the right. This is merely our prototype, but it will give you a feel for how this will work. Pretty amazing stuff.


Now, I know what you're thinking: "There are some lunatics out there! You're going to let a bunch of armchair quarterbacks -- who have the exercise habits of cheese logs -- tell you what to do during one of the most important days of your life, with a million people watching and a million dollars on the line for charity?"


My response: "Absolutely. Never underestimate a cheese log."


First, I fundamentally believe that most people are good and noble and have rich experiences to share. And, if there's one thing I've learned: it's that often the best advice comes from the most unexpected places -- if you are open-hearted and open-minded enough to hear it. I have great faith in people ... in the "collective wisdom." (I was one of those who checked "swine flu symptoms" on Wikipedia.)


Now, we will certainly get terribly, hilariously bad advice -- and, frankly, that adds to the entertainment value. My coach might say: "Eric, this just in from Laclan who lives in Wagga Wagga, Australia. He said: "Crikey, he looks hot and stressed, mate! Have him pour a cold beer down his shorts!" (Actually, not terrible advice.)


I bet my coach will get some input on the day where he says: "Hey, that's a good idea!" There are thousands of experts out there -- from sports psychology to swimming to cycling to running to nutrition -- who have great things to say. Imagine some guy in Georgia, who is an expert on diaphragmatic breathing. He might notice that my heart rate is drifting skyward because I'm panting and engaging the "fight-or-flight" response. He might tell Dave to remind me to breathe into my belly, which improves oxygenation, engages the parasympathetic response and lowers heart rate. Or, it could be simple advice like: "Hey, he keeps looking back. Tell him to stop that and focus on what's ahead."


And frankly, since I am doing this to raise money for CARE, I think most people will give their best advice on the day.


The whole point here is to raise the million dollars for CARE and to do a social experiment that has never been done before.


I'm going for it. And, I will be counting on you all to get me across the line under nine hours in one piece.


I may be beer-soaked with rivulets of drool running down the corners of my mouth, but I will get to that hallowed finish line in under 9 hours. I will have you all to thank. And, I will have ensured, through the poverty-fighting heroics of CARE, that a few thousand people will lead better, more hope-filled lives.


Now, that is something worth fighting for.


Stay tuned @ www.whatshouldhedonext.com.

2 comments:

Joerg Kinder said...

Hy Eric! Greetings from Spain. Go for it- nice idea. See you in 2010 in Hawaii. I also try to get qualified. So after long time we can do it together. I wish you all the best for your goal with CARE. Greetings to the family.

Matt Oliver said...

Hi, I also competed in the Tri for Fun in Pleasanton, Ca (my first triathlon). I hear you finished in 41 minutes, true? You are very inspiring to me and makes me want to push myself harder for my next triathlon. Breaking it down, do you know what your times were for each event (swimming, biking, running)? Any tips you can offer are greatly appreciated.

Matt Oliver
matthewpoliver@yahoo.com