Monday, June 15, 2009

Million Dollar Ironman: $1 Million to CARE and a Will of Iron

"The ultimate measure of a person is not where they stand in moments of comfort and convenience, but where they stand in times of challenge and controversy."

-- Martin Luther King, Jr.

I believe that we are easing into era of hope: hope for better lives for ourselves, our children -- and our world.

I believe that we each yearn to live our best lives -- and for the first time in a long time, we actually believe we can do it.

I believe humans have an extraordinary capacity for good. I am undertaking a new campaign that is all about doing good, a campaign that is emblematic of the finest parts of ourselves.

It is called "The Million Dollar Ironman." I am competing in what is arguably the toughest one-day sporting test in the world -- the Hawaii Ironman World Championships -- to raise $1 million for the finest humanitarian organization in the world: CARE.

I am not merely doing this to raise money for charity. I am doing this to light up the best parts of people, to inspire them to dream again, to take on their own challenges, to live their best lives -- and in doing so, perhaps give back to causes dear to their hearts.

There is no more rewarding way to get into shape than to train for an event on behalf of a chairty dear to your heart. I suggest you join me: set up your own page on FirstGiving and do an event to benefit a beloved cause. It will be a gift of inestimable value -- to yourself and to the world.

We are facing an unbearable physical crisis here at home, in the form of inactivity and obesity -- and several crises in third-world countries. I hope to address both of these phenomena in this campaign.

I chose CARE, because for two years, I have served as a CARE Ambassador -- and, beyond my roles as father and husband, it is the proudest and most rewarding position I've held.

Last year, CARE programs improved the lives of more than 55 million people in 66 countries. They allocate an industry-leading 90% of all funds to people on the ground, so every dollar makes a difference. CARE not only feeds the hungry, and does emergency relief work, they help tackle underlying causes of poverty so that people can become self-sufficient. Recognizing that women and children suffer disproportionately from poverty, CARE places special emphasis on working with women to create permanent social change.

WHY THE IRONMAN?

If HH, The Dalai Lama was right when he said: "Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to achieve it," then the Ironman can bring otherworldly success. It demands jaw-dropping sacrifice.

Truth be told, I have an uneasy relationship with Ironman. I have excelled at every other distance in the sport (from sprint to half Ironman), winning over 30 events around the world. But, I have done two Ironman events and both left me feeling like a dehydrated cheese log.

Ironman Canada was my first, and after getting off the bike in 4th place (with three swimmer-bikers ahead of me), I thought I would win. Instead, I melted down and finished in 18th after a heart-wrenching 3:40 marathon, hobbling across the finish line with fast-moving rivulets of drool flowing from the corners of my mouth.

I had another go at Ironman Brazil where I got sick two days before the event, but persevered under the irrepressible counsel of my 3 year-old daughter who simply said: "Papa, be brave. I will wait for you at the finish line." It was the most difficult day of my life, and also one of the most rewarding.

I chose Ironman for this campaign because it is a powerful, public way to honor women and girls who have no voice, who face impossible odds each day, who live on less than $1 a day, who suffer grave human rights violations -- and who somehow find a way to persevere with courage, dignity and grace few of us can imagine.

And to honor them fully, I plan on racing this thing and breaking the 9-hour barrier -- a feat only 27 people in the world achieved last year. At that hallowed finish line on Alii Drive in Hawaii -- in the warm embrace of my wife, daughter, some close friends and CARE staff and hopefully some children and their mothers from Africa -- I will present a check for $1 million to CARE.

My motivation comes from the plight of girls like this. There is something about this girl that forged my "want" to raise $1 million for CARE into a "need." I need to do this to help CARE end injustices like this. I hold this girl in my heart. And, I will not back down from any training session -- or the event itself -- until I cross the line under 9 hours and raise the million for CARE.

HOW TO TAKE PART

With over 90% of all resources going directly to CARE programs, your donation will have the maximum impact where it is needed most. Every dollar is expertly-allocated, so no donation is too small.

It is simple and secure to make a tax-deductible donation. You may visit: www.firstgiving.com/ericharr, if you prefer, send a check directly to "CARE" and include ""Million Dollar Ironman" in the memo field:

CARE USA
151 Ellis Street, NE
Atlanta, GA 30303

Thank you for making a difference.

~Eric

P.S. I invite you to visit my Twitter page and podcast for regular updates. Here is my way of saying thanks for supporting this campaign: ("8 Weeks to Your First Triathlon").

***A special thanks to ORGANIC FOOD BAR, Tag Heuer, GURU Bicycles and Kona Village Resort for their support of this campaign.***

No comments: