Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Motivated by Forces Larger Than Myself

Hey, everyone! Well, after several months of lazily "blogging" my newspaper columns, I've decided to break out and blog in a proper way: raw, real and uncut! (Sounds like a Paris Hilton video sequel!)

Anyway, I am here at home in Fairfax putting in a big training block for the Big Kahuna Half Ironman Triathlon on September 9th. I'm looking forward to competing in this event, and based on recent benchmarks and a strong win in Sacramento in June, I ought to have a good outing at the "Big K." It's also a course that suits my strengths, indeed!

It's been a quite some time since I've had a fire in the belly when I train. I think a lot of it has to do with the new campaign I've launched with CARE, to fight global poverty, called "The I am Powerful Workout with Eric Harr." In essence, this is an opportunity for anyone to help eradicate poverty, simply by setting fitness goals for themselves. As you train and log your hours on the CARE website, I donate more money to CARE. I've committed $1 million over the next five years. I'm literally bribing America to get into shape! Hey, when pleading by health officials doesn't work to motivate people to exercise, maybe unmitigated bribery will!

This has given me a heavy dose of intrinsic motivation to work out and race, because I know I'm doing it on behalf of marginalized women and girls worldwide. I am literally swimming, biking and running for them -- and they are in my heart in every session. I spent a week in Mozambique this spring, with the very people I'm now setting out to help. This passion-driven mission is leading to some huge training breakthroughs for sure, mentally and physically. It's also been a lot easier to stay motivated day in and day out when I know that I'm doing this literally to save lives and empower women and girls in desperate circumstances. Fifteen thousand people die every single day on the continent of Africa -- of entirely preventable diseases. This is unconscionable, given our resources and our ability to help. That is why I've put my body, my heart, my soul (and my pocketbook) on the line to make a difference. I hope to lead others by example.

Please visit the CARE website and get involved: http://www.care.org/workout. You stand to get healthier as you help others in need. It's a win-win for everyone. At the very least, please pass along the link to those you know and love.

Never before in history has a generation been empowered with the very real ability to wipe out extreme poverty in our lifetime. It's possible. We must seize the opportunity!

And with that, I've got a 90-minute run to do along the beautiful trails of Mount Tamalpais -- and I will do so with those women and girls in my heart. It's a beautiful life, isn't it? It's all how you look at it.

Until next time: Stay healthy, have fun -- and let's beat global poverty together!

No comments: